Saturday, March 15, 2008

Chapter 9 Conference with Students

I was very interested in this chapter. I know this is an area where I need to do more. I have read other books on conferencing and have tried various way, but I have not been happy with my results. Reggie gives some very helpful information on conferencing. Page 207 offers some varied ways to conference. I had felt it had to be one on one. She presents the concepts of quickshares and on the run conferences. I highlighted the sentence that says "I never skip whole class share in kindergarten and grade one." Her constant reminder that writing is about communication, content is critical and should always be a focus is very important. As a teacher you may focus on more that content, but remember to keep content as a focus.

There were many great ideas for conferencing, especially the tips on page 215. I liked the form for anecdotal notes from roving conferences and plan to try this after spring break. Also the form on page 219 noting strengths and setting writing goals for first graders. I have tried some goal setting before and now see the need to expand my goal setting.

I do not see first graders doing peer conferencing. It would take much front loading to make this effective. The notes on making a productive conference and language of helpful response will be helpful.

2 comments:

Tammy Gilley said...

Wasn't this chapter awesome. Conferencing doesn't have to be difficult.

Vicky Richardson said...

I also liked the different types of conferencing. This is an area I need to improve on! I am glad the author gave us a variety of conference types to use.